Seven Surprising Facts About Me
Some of these are fairly well known – which surprising facts surprise you most?
1. My maiden name is Scottish but we don’t come from the Scottish town of Kelso – we’re from the Isle of Arran.
2. When I was young, I went to elocution lessons and recited poetry. It wasn’t my idea – I was much too shy to be good at performances. I went on to train people to speak in public.
3. I earned my Queen’s Guide award when I was 16. Sadly the Queen didn’t present it to me in person.
4. I used to be a campanologist – ringing the bells of St Sampson’s Church, Cricklade in Wiltshire.
5. My first pet was a guinea pig called Gregory. He was a golden agouti. I swapped him for a budgie, which I trained to talk.
6. My childhood ambition was to be a vet.
7. My first work experience was as an assistant to archaeologists on a dig. I found green glaze pottery and Samian ware.